Monday, April 18, 2011

April 18th 2011

Again I am going to claim computer fatigue from work as my excuse for not blogging more often.  Think I have been fighting mild depression as well.

A good bit has happened since I was last on here.

Back in March, thanks to being 50, I got to have my first colonoscopy.  Since I was a certified endo tech for 10 years, the thought of the test itself did not bother me.  It was the prep I was most concerned about!!  The day before of only hard candy and clear liquids was not as difficult as I thought it would be.  I got to do the "Movi-prep" as apposed to the "Colyte" prep.  The Movi-prep is done in two stages and although it certainly does not taste good, it was not as difficult to get down as I thought it would be and the resulting movement was not as violent as anticipated.  The test itself?  Can't tell you as I sort of remember them just beginning to insert the colonoscope and next I knew they had removed it and I was off to the recovery area!  The wonder of today's drugs!!  Good exam with no findings made the experience even better.

It was yearly mammogram time too, so I got to go have that done as well.  Equipment is changing there as well  I remember my first mammogram at age 36 and how uncomfortable it was.  Now it is just an inconvenience. 

I have several friends that although about 50 or older, they have yet to have had a mammogram because they fear the "pain" they think it will cause.  I try to remind them that the pain of finding breast cancer when it's too late, would be even more painful.  I am not getting through to them.  Very frustrating.

My cat  "Flossie" was bitten by what we believe to be a snake and passed away shortly thereafter.  I was more than a little upset and for the first few days was thinking No More Cats.  That feeling didn't last long!!  I decided I needed another kitten and soon,  I began to check for kittens at the various no-kill shelters and was told over and over again that unless I signed a form, saying the cat(s) would be 100% indoor cat(s) then I was not eligible to have one!  They would allow these cats to remain in small pen/cages then go to someone who would allow them to go outside.  No wonder the shelters are over-flowing! 

After much debating I contacted PAWS of Hertford Co., even though they are almost 5 hours away from me.  I knew about them through a friend who had gotten a couple of dogs from them.  I contacted them, told them my situation and that looks etc were not my concern but personality.  At first I was drawn towards a group of three siblings but was drawn towards another pair of siblings by the volunteers.  These guys had been brought to them at 2 months and had been with them for 6 months.  The more I heard about them, the more I loved them and wanted them.  What is so awesome is the Catherine and her husband drove the 2 kittens to Kinston for me to pick them up.  Kent and I got up early and headed up to Deep Run to visit with his mom for a couple of hours.  We then headed up to Kinston to get the kittens.

Peace is the small female and a black and white tuxedo.  Spirit is definitely the big brother and although a tuxedo, his fur is a dark gray that is almost white when you brush it the wrong way and he has faint tiger striping in the gray.  The first week I took them to work everyday and the following weekend they spent their first full day/night on the back deck and fenced-in area.  They are a hoot and extremely affectionate.

After 2-1/2 weeks, they know how to get out of the fenced-in area but already know to come when I whistle for them and seem content to spend the majority of their time on the deck and fenced-in area.  They are great in that they are forcing me to spend some time each day outside.  I usually eat my lunch outside and play with them.  A great mid-day stress reliever on a work day too!


It's mid-April and I am still wondering where my MS licence plate is.


No comments:

Post a Comment